City of Oaks Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2020
|12 Diamond: 13s||12 Crystal: 12s|
|13 Diamond: 13s||13 Crystal: 13s|
|14 Diamond: 14s||14 Crystal: 14s|
|15 Diamond: 15s||15 Crystal: 15s|
|16 Diamond: 16s||16 Crystal: 16s||16 Boys: 16s Boys|
|17 Diamond: 18s||17 Crystal: 17s||17 Jade: 17s|
|18 Diamond: 18s||18 Crystal: 18s|
Day 1: Black/White(L)
|No club bus is offered for this event. All players travel with their parents.|
Latest Event Update
The City of Oaks Challenge is just a few days away!
We are excited to host your team at the 5th annual City of Oaks Challenge! Our preparations for the tournament are almost complete and we are looking forward to moving into the Raleigh Convention Center this Thursday. This email is lengthy but contains important tournament details, so please be sure to read through it in its entirety.
First round pools have been posted in AES! We feel our seeding committee has done an excellent job this early, with limited results, in seeding our event from our largest and most competitive field yet!
Doors open daily at 7am for teams/spectators. Please don’t arrive earlier planning to get in.
Division wave schedules and times are posted on the website.
An important note: The 13s and the 17s Division size dictated that there are 3rd place teams that will advance to Group 1 [still in Gold contention] on Day 2. The teams advancing will be determined by Day 1 pool play results exclusively (set-point percentage). Please reference the Flow File in AES for more information.
Awards information is available on our website. All first-place Age Division winners will receive a trophy and medals.
The MLK, Jr. weekend occurs in a newly defined “quiet” period for D1 coaches meaning they are unable to be on the road recruiting. However, D2, D3, and NAIA coaches are allowed to recruit at City of Oaks Challenge. We had over 20 collegiate recruiters attend in 2019 and are expecting a similar number to attend in 2020. Below is the current list but keep in mind most college coaches either don’t register or do so in the day prior to the event.
We use the University Athlete service so please be sure your athlete’s account is updated (recommended for some 15s and all 16s and up)
Colleges Attending in 2020
Belmont Abbey College
Fayetteville State University
Pitt Community College
Surry Community College
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
University of Virgnia’s College at Wise
Virginia Wesleyan University
Team check in for 12s, 12s–1 Day/Winter Classic, 14s, 15s, 16s, 17s, and 18s will take place at the Raleigh Convention Center in Room 204 [mezzanine level] during the times listed below.
Friday, January 17, 7-9 PM and Saturday, January 18, 7 AM-2 PM
Team check in for 13s and 16s-18s Boys will take place at Triangle Volleyball Club during the times below.
Friday, January 17, 6-8 PM and Saturday, January 18, 7 AM – 2 PM
The 14u Boys Division can check in before their matches on Sunday, January 19 starting at 7am at the RCC.
Coaches and players will receive competition venue entrance credentials at check in. Club Directors attending but not on a team roster can receive free entry. Please email email@example.com and we will add them to a VIP list. Note: we are unfortunately unable to offer practice space on Friday night.
- Friday, January 18, 6-9 PM in front of the entrance to Hall B on the mezzanine level of the RCC.
- Saturday, Sunday and Monday beginning at 7 AM on the mezzanine level of the RCC.
- At the RCC: CASH ONLY is accepted; there is an ATM available onsite at the RCC. Online ticket sales are not available.
- Tents cannot be located in the front of the building.
- Tents CANNOT occupy any parking spaces or block sidewalk traffic.
- Tents must be secured. Any damage (cars, etc) or injuries suffered due to tents will be the responsibility of the owner.
No outside food is permitted inside the RCC. RCC concessions open at 7am and have numerous breakfast options.
- Saturday, 6am - 7pm
- Sunday, 6am - 7pm
- Monday, 6am - 7pm
- · Raleigh Marriott City Center - $18pp Hot Breakfast, starting at 6 AM
- · Sheraton Raleigh Downtown - $10pp++ Hot Breakfast at Café Siena, starting at 6:30am
- Lucky Dog - custom tournament t-shirts, volleyball gear and equipment
- C-Salt Therapeutic Bodywork – athletic massage & beauty products. On-site massages performed near Trainer
- Passanante’s Home Food Services – home food delivery service specializing in all natural and organic foods